Thursday, August 5, 2010

Feeling Good

Ada has her surgery this morning, takes about an hour, spends an hour in recovery, then is brought right up to the same-day surgery intake/discharge area and starts to badger them into letting her go home NOW. Two middle-aged women, nurses, and an older male phlebotomist in the room; one nurse asks Ada how she feels. "I feel good," Ada says, then starts to sing, "Da da dada dada dum! I knew that I would now." The nurses and phlebotomist start singing along with her, Ada's seat-dancing in the hospital recliner, still hooked up to an I.V., the three hospital staffers dancing around her and continuing to sing along, "Da da dada dada DUM! I fee-eel NICE, da da dada dum! Like sugar and spice now!" I say, what the hell is this, an episode of 'Scrubs'? But they all keep going for a couple more choruses and then they're all laughing and high-fiving with the patient. Ada's home now, needless to say, still singing every now and then. She feels good.

So do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment