Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Thought Occasioned by St. Patrick's Day

Later today will go to el supermarquesa to "do a comprita" as The Lovely Former Ada Santiago of Ponce, Puerto Rico says, which is an exact translation of going to the supermarket to "do a small order" as me sainted grandmother Catherine "Kitty" Higgins used to call it -- which in Spanglish and in Irish-American means buy some needed things, but not buy all of the things that the family will need for the week. Buying everything is a "compra" or an "order". I'm always amazed at the parallels between the Irish and the Puerto Ricans, in big things and small.

1 comment:

  1. And a hell of an Occasiooooon it is, too, me foine boyo. Also very thinky.

    Did you chance to see the thought occasioned by St. Patrick's Day and dog ownership and consumption of certain substances over in my neck of the woods? if not, you oughta - I believe it's, well, maybe I shouldn't say up your alley, but I do think you might enjoy it in a horrified sort of way.... it's at Erin go Dogh

    ReplyDelete